Favorite Lines from Great Hymns

Devotional thoughts from hymn lines in great hymns that encourage and inspire our faith as we walk with God.

Sunday, September 27, 2026

"Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee"

"InTheGardenOfFaithHopeAndLove" Facebook Page. Kimberly Bradshaw
 
“Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee”

“But what to those who find? Ah, this
Nor tongue nor pen can show;
The love of Jesus, what it is,
None but His loved ones know.”

That last line in verse three is a true statement. We who are saved know to the depth of our hearts the love of Jesus. We know it; we feel it, and we hear it. Our entire being is filled with the knowledge of Jesus’ love.

How can we explain it to someone? I don’t think we can ever explain in words just what the love of Jesus does to us and for us. We are covered. We are enclosed in His love at all times. We are never away from His love.

It makes you feel special. Just think. Me. I am covered by the love of Jesus. Who am I. Just one out of millions who through faith gave her life to Him. That’s all I did. I was then enveloped in a love that is so powerful and so enormous that I can never get away from it.

His love is sacrificial, unconditional, and transformative, demonstrated most profoundly through His life, teachings, and ultimate sacrifice on the cross. And He shares it all with us that we may be like Him.

Galatians 2:20 says: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now life in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

Yes, because He lives in me, I have been crucified with Him. Everything I do is layered between the love I have for Him and the love He has for me. I fail miserably. But that doesn’t negate that’s it’s real.

Verse Two of this hymn says: “O hope of every contrite heart, O joy of all the meek, to those who fall, how kind thou art! How good to those who seek!”

Jesus knows that we will fall. He picks us up and says, “Try again. I still love you.” No matter how awful we feel because we failed, Jesus still loves us. He continually encourages our hearts through reading His Word and hearing His Word. And we try again.

Yes, none but His loved ones know the reach of His love. He’s waiting for you. All you have to do is believe and you’ll be covered with a love so fine it will never let you go.

By His Grace . . . 



"Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee"

"InTheGardenOfFaithHopeAndLove" Facebook Page. Kimberly Bradshaw   “Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee” “But what to those who find...