Favorite Lines from Great Hymns

Devotional thoughts from hymn lines in great hymns that encourage and inspire our faith as we walk with God.

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Goodness of God

Graphic from SonFlowers Facebook page

 “Goodness of God”

“I love You, Lord, “For Your mercy never fails me.
All my days, I've been held in Your hand.
From the moment that I wake up,
Until I lay my head
, Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God.”

“'Cause all my life, You have been faithful.
And all my life, You have been so, so good.
With every breath that I am able,
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God.”

The first moments of the morning when you wake up and your eyes open, until you finally lay your head down, close your eyes and prepare to sleep, you can praise God! All that time, morning to night, you have the opportunity to sing of the goodness of God.

Sometimes it takes me awhile before God comes into my thinking. It comes much quicker now that I am older and retired. My days are quieter and non-rushed. Even so, when I worked, at some point God would come into my  mind, and I would immediately sense peace. That’s what thinking about God should do for you. Saying the name of Jesus, an umbrella flows over you and covers you with His peace.

Throughout your day, no matter how rushed and anxious, when your mind brings God’s Name to you, don’t waste the moment. “Thank you, Lord,” “I love you, God” will bring rest and peace to you during anything you are occupied with at the moment.  Even, “Oh, Lord” during anxious times reminds you He is always with you. Don’t let the moment pass.

His goodness is with us 24 hours a day. There is never a time when you are completely alone. The whisper of His name breaks through the hardest moments to bring relief and calm. Even through tears.

It won’t always be easy, especially if you’re going through difficult times or heartbreak. But if you call out His name, He can move mountains. The answer may not form at that moment. But you have the assurance that He heard and is working in the situation.

Never let that line of communication close. It is your lifeline. It is your direct contact with your God and Lord. He’ll always be there. He wants you to always be there too!

I relate to the second verse:

“I love Your voice, You have lead me through the fire.
In darkest night, You are close like no other.
I've known You as a Father, I've known You as a friend,
And I have lived in the goodness of God.”

"I will sing of the goodness of the Lord!"

By His Grace . . . 


Goodness of God

Graphic from SonFlowers Facebook page   “Goodness of God” “I love You, Lord, “For Your mercy never fails me. All my days, I've been h...