I need you, Lord. The heartfelt cry of every believer who
stands tall for Christ and lives to serve Him. In good times and bad times. We,
who depend upon our Savior to be with us through our life, gladly and
confidently say: “We need You.”
This chorus says it well. Every hour. Our one defense. My
righteousness in You. Yes, God, I need you.
Matt Maher and a number of collaborators, Kristian Stanfill,
Christy Nockels, Daniel Carson, and Jesse Reeves, wrote this Praise and Worship
song for a Passion Conference where college students were coming
together to worship God. Jesse Reeves shared the idea of using the old hymn, “I
Need Thee Every Hour” by Annie Hawks as a springboard for the new song. The
first verse of that well known hymn says: “I need Thee ev'ry hour, most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like Thine can peace afford.” And so, they drew upon its
lyrics for some extra stimulation. How many times during a clock’s 24-hour
rotation does someone need God?
They tried to imagine students sitting in their dorm rooms
and struggling with the various temptations and other issues that come their
way. They pondered what needing God really meant for Christians.
The answer is obvious. We need God at all times. Sound too
needy? Too weak? The strongest man or woman who is a believer relies on and
calls on Jesus all the time. Jesus isn’t a crutch. Jesus is strength. Jesus is
a deliverer. Jesus is what every believer needs to live a powerful and strong
life. Believers live for and work for Jesus.
Never be afraid to call on Jesus. Yes, we all need Him.
Because He is our life. He is our God. He is everything to us.
Verse
One
“Lord
I come, I confess,
Bowing here, I find my rest.
Without You, I fall apart,
You're the one that guides my heart.”
Lord, I need you.
